Last week, the Mayor gave his annual State of the City address and I can proudly say that things are moving forward in the City of Torrance!
The last time you heard from me, I was working to host a community forum featuring two speakers; a tech start-up expert and one of the Country’s premier city planners to present about revitalizing Old Torrance and how it would help attract tech jobs and businesses. I’m pleased to report the event was a resounding success and I’d like to thank the more than 200 members of the community who attended to learn more about the potential behind these ideas. These presentations are available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8P4xBlV4Xg
Last week, the Mayor gave his annual State of the City address and I can proudly say that things are moving forward in the City of Torrance! In case you missed it: The City's promotional video and the Mayor's speech
If you prefer the cliff notes, here are some highlights:
- Business is booming with businesses such as Health Ade and Polypeptide growing fast and new buildings being constructed at the Torrance Commerce Center
- Old Torrance Revitalization moving forward with a finalist being recommended by staff for a consultant to help with the process
- Torrance Fire Department received accreditation from the Center for Public Safety Excellence, making it one of only five departments Statewide to achieve this and be a Class One department.
- There’s been an overall reduction in crime rates, thanks to the Torrance Police Department
- TUSD achieved a 96% graduation rate and the schools are in the top 20% statewide
- A new splash pad opened at Wilson Park and has been hugely popular amongst the kids
- Torrance Memorial and Little Company of Mary were both named in the top 1,000 of hospitals worldwide
- The Del Amo Fashion Center is slated to be the home of the next California Welcome Center
- Torrance is partnering with Film LA to handle film permitting, offering a streamlined process
With all that is happening, it's clear that City Hall is busy these days! Thank you for being part of our great City.